This time I decided to experiment with a very popular Mexican delicacy – Tacos! As expected, it turned out to be super yummy!
What did I use?
For the Base
- Maize flour – 2 cups or 256 grams
- Plain flour – 1 cup or 124 grams
- Lukewarm water – as required
- Salt – as required
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
For the Filling
- Finely chopped onions – 2
- Clarified butter – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato puree – made from 2 tomatoes
- garlic cloves – 10
- Salt – as per taste
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tablespoon
- Chilly sauce – 2 tablespoon
- Oregano – as per taste
- Boiled Rajma or Red kidney beans – 250 grams [ You can use any pulses in the same quantity. I had tried using chickpeas and the taste was equally good ]
For the Topping
- Grated cheese
- finely chopped onions
- Green chilly sauce [ optional but spice lovers will adore it! ]
- Chopped coriander [ Optional ]
How did I make it?
- I used a pressure cooker to boil Rajma and side by side, started preparing the filling. While my rajma was getting ready, I took a pan and sauteed onions, tomato puree, and mashed garlic cloves using clarified butter. Once my vegetables were sauteed, I turned off the flame and added tomato ketchup, chili sauce, oregano, and salt and gave it a light mix. Post that, I allowed it to rest and cool for about 30 minutes.
- My next step was to prepare the base. for the base, I mixed maize flour, plain flour, salt, oil, and water and kneaded it to give a semi-hard dough. Once my dough was ready, I started rolling the dough to give a round shape. Post that, my base was ready to hit the pre-heated oven and get baked at 180 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes. I had used the grill tray to give a U shape to the base. However, this is optional. Alternatively, you can also deep fry the base on medium flame. Note: The base will turn crispy only if the dough is semi-hard. A soft dough will not fetch the desired result.
- My next step was to start assembling everything to get the final result. To assemble the tacos, I took the base and filled it with semi-mashed rajma, added the tacos filling on top of it, and garnished it with lots of cheese and chopped onions.
- Tacos are ready!