When it comes to junk food, papdi is the first snack that comes to my mind! Papdi is one of the most-used and most loved Indian snack, where people love consuming it as it is during tea breaks or use it as the base to prepare other chat items. Having it as it is or making a chat item out of it, Papdi never fails to satisfy a hungry foodie!
This time, I thought of bringing a healthier version of Papdi, which is not only tasty but is also beneficial for the body. I have added pepper and cumin seeds to the papdi, which brings its unique taste and also tastes awesome when used as a base for chat items like papdi chat, sev puri, etc.
- Pepper and cumin seeds help in digestion and prevent acidity
- Replacing whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour [ maida ] makes the snack healthier
What did I use?
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Salt – as per taste
- Jeera or Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Crushed pepper – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Water – to bind the dough
- Oil – for Frying
- Butter/milk – to be used only in case you wish to bake and not fry
How did I make it?
- My first step was to prepare a stiff dough by combining flour, salt, oil, cumin seeds, and crushed pepper. I do not have to cover this dough with a cloth or allow it to rest as I have used whole wheat flour and not all-purpose flour. Plus, I have not used any soda to the dough, so the dough can be used for immediate consumption.
- As a next step, I divided the dough into small portions and used a rolling pin to flatten the dough. This step can also be done by flattening the entire dough and then using a cutter to get the desired shape.
- After flattening the dough, I used a fork to pierce as I don’t want my papdi to swell – I want them to be flat and crisp.
- That’s it! My papdi’s are ready for frying. I fried it on medium flame till golden brown and crisp. I had to ensure that I flip the sides to avoid over-cooking at one end.
- In case if you don’t wish to fry them, you can bake these papdi’s by brushing light butter on them and baking them at 150 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes. If you do not wish to use butter, then you can also brush milk. This is to get the desired colour and taste.
- Papdi’s are ready! ❤️