After a long time, I tried my hands with cooking and this time, I tried a recipe shared by Papamummykitchen and their recipe was something which was not only easy but healthy too!
Ideally, Gulab Jamun is prepared with milk khoya or milk extract and is kneaded and deep-fried to be soaked in sugar syrup. In this recipe, the dessert was prepared using whole wheat flour and milk powder, which adds a healthy twist to the dessert!
What did I use?
- Whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup or 70 grams
- Milk powder – 1/2 cup or 70 grams
- Milk – 4 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda ( to make the jamuns flullfy! ) – 1/4 teaspoon
- Clarified butter or ghee – 1.5 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1.5 cups 400 grams
- Water – 2 cups
- Oil – for frying
How did I make it?
- At first, I sieved whole wheat flour, milk powder, and baking soda to get an even flour texture. Next, I added clarified butter and cardamom powder and started adding milk in parts to form a soft dough
- After my dough was prepared, I divided the dough into equal parts and started frying the balls in the low-medium flame till golden brown.
- My next step was to allow the balls to cool while I prepare the sugar syrup
- For the sugar syrup, I added sugar and water and kept it on a high flame till it reaches the boiling point. Once my syrup reached its boiling point, I added the balls gradually and gave a very light mix for 2 to 3 minutes.
- My last step was to turn off the flame and cover the pan for about 30 minutes for the balls to absorb the syrup.
- To my surprise, the balls doubled in size and turned out to be extremely soft! And tadaa! Gulab Jamuns are ready! ❤️